[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - Xterra SAS 4wd conversion

Xterra SAS 4wd conversion

Project threads for Demon vehicles.

Postby BigTim55 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Alright so I've come to the conclusion that it would be best for me to just man up and SAS the X. This will be my project thread and updates will be made as I get parts, it may take me a while but I'll get there. I should have just started this a long time ago. :drunk

Sent from Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Re: Xterra SAS 4wd conversion

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:21 pm

It's about time that you chose a vehicle. This won't be cheap, or easy. I'd expect to spend 8k+ or so, but you can do it much cheaper (or much more expensively).

Some questions:
Does your truck have a frame (or is it unibody)?
Does your truck have a steering box, or will one need to be added?
What size tire do you plan to run?
Full width, or narrowed (your stock width)? I assume full width, since you've gone to the trouble of widening your current set up.
Replacing the rear axle? This is important because of bolt patterns and matching up to whichever front you decide to go with.
Leafs, Coils and shocks, coilovers? (listed from cheapest to most expensive)
Is the stock Xterra transfer case driver's side drop, or passenger?
What axle are you thinking of going with? D44, Dana 50, Dana 60? (Balljoint Dana 60's from a Super Duty are muuuuch cheaper than the kingpin 60 I got)

In the meantime, while you gather parts/ideas, you can focus on getting a 4x4 trans, transfer case, and rear driveshaft, which will have the advantage of at least giving you low range.

Read, plan, research, read again, make a spreadsheet, then double your expected cost. Should get you close. If you've got examples of some second gen SAS's that you're mining data from, feel free to share the links.

KF5ZXT
Demon Tranny Killer & Ranger Dick
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Looks like you need an ABS tone ring in the front. That won't be fun, but still doable.

KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:43 pm

"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby BigTim55 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I think I may modelmy build after this one. He still uses his as a DD

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52368

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

That thread is a fail. No pics and no build details. Does he have a build thread?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

No. He had a fit when the site got sold to autoguide and had all his threads deleted becauze he didn't want autoguide to have them

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 pm

What a vag. So what exactly are you using for a guide, then?

Ash him if he still has the info and he can post it here. :lol
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:24 pm

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 am

Well at least PM him and get some more info. That isn't mush to go on. For example, did he keep the JK axle link mounts and build around those? Front and rear? If not, what suspension setups, did he use front and rear?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:38 pm

so i found a pretty good conversion thread.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... hlight=sas
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Except that is going from 2wd to stock 4wd set up, so the whole front end would be different. You can definitely use the rest to get your trans/tcase/rear driveshaft set up, though. Good news though, it looks like the only difference between your tranny and the 4x4 one is the output shaft and tailshaft housing, which is removeable. That means that you can drop your trans and install those onto the unit you currently have. Correct me if I'm wrong, did you not just have done some transmission work?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:07 pm

That's certainly a viable option. Downtime sucks (and often makes me consider having a second vehicle option), might as well enjoy some wheeling time. If I were you, I would find yourself a used transfer case and rear driveshaft, and then decide whether you want to either 1. get the tailshaft housing and output shaft and take those to the trans shop when you go to get yours worked on, or 2. just find a working 4x4 trans. The latter just might be quite a bit cheaper than the former.

Are there available both an electronic and manual transfer case option for your truck?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:50 pm

I found a thread of a guy doing the same thing I want to.
http://www.xterranation.org/showthread.php?t=357

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 pm

So you want to do a divorced tcase, then?
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby TxPlates » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:44 pm

I honestly think you should keep the Xterra a street queen and just find an older 4runner or something like that to play with. Going to be a cheaper option to mod and get off road ready, and you still have a daily driver. Just my opinion, and not my vehicle :) A lot of why I say that is talking to McClung, he's been in the Nissan world with people doing conversions and it's a PITA and expensive. You should hit him up and get the ups and downs of it.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby BigTim55 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:56 pm

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Fair enough.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby BigTim55 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:04 pm

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

That's always sweet. I hope to see this come along, lord knows I know what it's like to wait for a rig to come alive :)
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I'd like to see this spreadsheet.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Postby BigTim55 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 pm

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby BigTim55 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby KF5ZXT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 pm

If you think you've got it mapped out, and think it will be pretty cheap, but don't have a spreadsheet, you might be in for a rude awakening.
KF5ZXT
CORE Member
CORE Member
Big Dog

Next

Return to Demon Projects