[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 504: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_tag_user.php on line 139: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Demon4x4.com • View topic - A food I grew up with

A food I grew up with

Post here any topic that has little or nothing to do with anything else.

A food I grew up with

Postby TxPlates » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:17 am

I moved to Texas for my freshman year in high school, and moving from another state hard to make new friends going into high school. I got lucky and and met my Rick who lived in my neighborhood. His mom is from El Salvador and was a great cook. One thing she particularly made for us was called "Pupusas" and there are a ton of different ways to make it, and her's was the best. Unfortunately I can't get her recipe directly but have found as close as I remember it being and I'll attempt this soon.

Salvadoran Pulled Pork Pupusas with Pickled Cabbage

Prep Time:1 hr 0 minInactive Prep Time:24 hr 30 minCook Time:3 hr 55 min
Level:
Difficult
Serves:
16 pupusas, 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
For the pickled cabbage:

1/2 medium green cabbage, shredded
1 chayote squash, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
For the pork filling:

3 pounds pork butt, trimmed and cubed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups water
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno, diced
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the corn dough:

3 1/2 cups masa harina
2 1/4 cups warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Olive oil
1 1/2 cups shredded Cotija cheese
Directions
For the pickled cabbage: Combine the vegetables in a large bowl. In a medium saucepan, add the vinegar, water, spices, brown sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the vegetables. Mix the ingredients well and let stand for at least 24 hours before serving, stirring occasionally. This mixture will keep for 2 to 3 weeks covered in the refrigerator.

For the pork filling: Season the pork with the salt and pepper and place in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 2-inches, about 6 cups. Bring to a simmer and partially cover the pot; cook until the meat is very tender and almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 hours. Uncover the pork and let it slightly pan fry in its own fat, stirring, until golden brown.

Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano and cinnamon in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add the tomato mixture to the pork in the saucepan and stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until pork is falling apart and most of the liquid has reduced from the sauce. The pork mixture should be very thick. Set aside to cool while you prepare the masa dough. (This will yield more pork than you need for this recipe but any leftover can be frozen and/or used in other recipes. It makes a great filling for tacos, burritos, quesadillas or enchiladas and also works well as a sandwich filling when mixed with a tangy barbecue sauce.)

For the dough: In a bowl, combine the masa harina with the warm water and salt mix until soft dough forms. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in up to a 1/4 cup of cold water, until the dough become soft but not sticky. Divide the dough into 16 golf ball size pieces. Keep the dough covered as you work.

To form a pupusa: Rub the palm of your hands with a little olive oil. While holding of the dough balls in 1 hand, press the thumb of the other hand in the middle of the ball of dough to form an indentation, then turning the dough, begin to flatten it with your fingertips into a 4-inch concave disk resembling a small bowl. In the center of the disk add 2 tablespoons of the pork and 1/2 tablespoon of the shredded cheese. Bring the edges of the dough together over the filling and squeeze to form a seal. Working gently, press the dough into a flattened disk, flattening the dough middle and edges to form a thick pancake shape about 4-inches in diameter. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.

Lightly rub the pupusas with oil and place them on a heated, greased griddle over medium-high heat. Cook each side until golden brown in spots and slightly puffy, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve hot, with a serving of the pickled cabbage on the side.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Re: A food I grew up with

Postby BigTim55 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:20 am

Sounds tasty! Except the cabbage

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 am

I'm telling you the cabbage is a topping and it's very delicious. It doesn't taste like cabbage on this, it really makes it taste awesome. I've personally never made, and I'm going to attempt it soon, as my best friends mother made it for us growing up and I'd love to re-create it.
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Postby BigTim55 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

Make it and let me know how it turns out then I'll see if I can talk Britt into making it lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
A 2WD stuck in a world of 4WD
"I'll be the guy to get a full size to bring some more diversity in this closed minded group lol."
BigTim55
No Show, No Go
CORE Member
CORE Member
Stock

Postby TxPlates » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 am

Brewery tour is off and we're making this Saturday I stead lol. I plan on giving it a try next week, ill let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 bitch using Tapatalk
TxPlates
Demon Chef

Return to Chit-Chat